Monday, October 8, 2007

Difficult Phone

This post is about poorly designed cell phones. I have used many of them; many more cell phones out there are poorly designed than well designed. I used to have a terribly designed phone. It had one of the smallest keypads that I have ever used, with extra space along the sides of the keypad. If there is going to be extra space, why not take advantage of it? Also, the buttons were placed in bad, unintuitive locations (such as the rocker for the volume being on the top of the phone). I can't remember the exact model number of the phone, but I can describe another phone that is poorly designed. The first version of the LG Chocolate was an ergonomic nightmare. The call button was on the front of the phone, but the end button was on the side. The directional buttons were arranged in a circle, with a silver circle surrounding them, but they only operated by being pushed. The natural reaction is to try spinning the wheel as you would on an iPod, but that was not the case. I could go on for hours about this phone but I don't have hours. I'll post a link for it later for any of those that don't know which phone I'm talking about.

No comments: